want a quick and interesting lunch that's healthy and safe from allergens? why not try putting together your own quinoa salad? quinoa is the super-est of supergrains. so versatile and good for you, while not being too filling or calorific. we love to make quinoa salad with prawns and avocado for a light and healthy dinner. but i tried a pretty interesting combo today for lunch. mostly because i happened to have a nice new pomegranate in my fruit bowl and wanted to incorporate it into my lunch...
quinoa with harissa, almonds, and pomegranate
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- optional: handful of chopped mint leaves
- put the quinoa and water into a saucepan and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the quinoa has expanded and soaked up all of the water.
- meanwhile, chop up some blanched almonds and mint leaves, and remove the seeds from 1/2 a pomegranate.
- when the quinoa is ready, mix in the harissa paste, almonds, pom seeds, and mint, and squeeze the lemon. stir until incorporated and serve warm.
lesson learned: harissa is such a wonderful spicy paste and adds a great depth of flavour to any bland dish (and quinoa can be pretty bland). the sweetness of the pomegranate is balanced out nicely by the harissa.