i can't believe we're only a week away from thanksgiving. what?? where has 2009 gone? i'm very excited to be hosting thanksgiving dinner in our flat again this year. my mom arrives this friday and preparations have already begun for the 10-person dinner party. this is mostly because they don't have thanksgiving here (for pretty obvious reasons) so cans of pumpkin and cranberry sauce just aren't readily available. oh yes i said "canned" cranberry sauce. i'll also be making a homemade one though, fear not.
(photo above is of our lovely spacious dining room at last year's thanksgiving. forgive the terrible lighting! how on earth are we going to fit THREE MORE PEOPLE around that table?? oh it will be done... yes it will...)
other traditional items we'll be making on the day:
- pumpkin pie (vegan and soy-free with a gluten-free crust)
- cornbread (unlike my last homemade attempt, i was able to find a boxed version at whole foods london, yay!)
- candied yams with marshmallows
- turkey duh
- green beans with toasted almonds
- wild rice stuffing and a special vegetarian pueblo corn pie from this wonderful ebook for phil and his brother graham
phew! it's gonna be a wonderful night after a day full of cooking (my mom and i will be in spain until wednesday night, so all the cooking has to be done on thursday!) - i can't wait to try out some of these new recipes.
tomorrow, i'll be writing a post on dinner tonight -- one of our favourites -- pad thai (minus huevos).