Are you allergic to dairy / lactose intolerant? Do you LOVE creamy desserts?
Is your idea of comfort food something soft and warm?
Are you also gluten-free / vegan / soy-free / egg-free / sugar-free?
IMMEDIATELY MAKE THIS DESSERT.
Coconut Rice Pudding
Adapted from a recipe in delicious magazine
- 3/4 cup short-grain white rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- sprinkle of nutmeg to serve
- Measure out the rice and add it to a small saucepan, along with the coconut milk, cardamom pods, cinnamon, and vanilla. Turn on the heat and leave to warm up.
- Once simmering, stir occasionally. Continue until all the coconut milk has been absorbed by the rice. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the agave nectar once cooked to taste. Sprinkle nutmeg on top to serve.
Lesson learned: Previously, I thought of rice pudding as gross lumpy baby food dessert that you get in the school cafeteria. Not any more! The cardamom and cinnamon add a wonderful spicy flavor, and the coconut makes it so lush and creamy - there is no need for regular milk in rice pudding ever again!