phil has gone christmas shopping on a secret solo mission, which means i have to amuse myself while he's out and about. hmmm, i wonder what he could be buying... i did ask him to pick up some sriracha at whole foods though. can't be COMPLETELY secretive! so, while he does that, i'll tell you about the dinner i made last night. in keeping with the simple salmon theme from last week, i thought i'd try another recipe which i heard about from two completely different sources. in an act which can only be described as insane, i picked up a copy of martha stewart living from a newsagents to read while i was at the gym the other day. but that wasn't the most worrying thing: i actually tore out a recipe from the magazine! apparently, i'm a huge martha fan. sigh. i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.
this recipe is for seared salmon with horseradish and scallions. seemed like a pretty interesting dish, so i decided to make it for dinner last night. but then i remembered that my mom's great friend diane had emailed me a similar-sounding recipe that she had recently made and loved. and, wouldn't you know, it ended up being the exact same thing! i love when the universe works that way.
that settled it. i picked up some horseradish relish from my local market and 2 salmon fillets from the fishmonger's and put it all together last night, along with some lemon parsley mashed potatoes and a bit of steamed broccoli. a winning combo, if i do say so myself.
horseradish salmon with lemon parsley mash and broccoli
salmon recipe adapted from the martha stewart living december 2009 issue :)
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp drained & prepared horseradish (i used biona's horseradish relish)
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 3 handfuls new potatoes
- 2 handfuls fresh parsley, chopped
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp non-dairy margarine
- 1/2 head of broccoli, cut into large pieces
- preheat the oven to 375F.
- cook the potatoes in boiling water until soft. take off the heat, drain and mash. cover and put to one side.
- meanwhile, prepare the salmon by rubbing horseradish on the skinned side of each fillet. put a bit of olive oil on a skillet, and pan-fry the salmon, skinned side up, for about 2 minutes.
- transfer the fillets to the oven (still skinned side up) and bake for about 6 minutes or until cooked through. once the salmon is in the oven, put the broccoli in a steaming pan and cook until the salmon is done.
- add the margarine, lemon zest, and parsley to the mash and mix until fully combined.
- serve the salmon skinned side down (which we didn't do) along with some mash and broccoli. add extra horseradish relish on the side if you want more heat :)
lesson learned: this is a great quick and easy dinner to make. as jamie oliver might say, salmon and horseradish are "good friends".