i majorly slept in today! but i think it's safe to say i'm over the ridiculous jetlag now :) i was awoken by the postman who knocked on my door bearing gifts from american apparel and shutterfly. hooray mr. postman! anyway, rewind to yesterday. i was thinking about what to cook for dinner, and knew i wanted to go check out the hammersmith farmer's market. it's so close and i never knew it existed! turns out it is mostly ready-made food (for workers' lunch breaks) and one fresh veg stall. so i picked up some small potatoes and a bunch of spring onions (aka scallions to the americans) and got some organic salmon and feta cheese (more on that later) on my way home.
i remembered about a little packet of sun dried tomatoes that had been sitting in my cupboard for a little while, so i decided to go with a mediterranean theme for dinner. and then i made up a recipe! it's exciting making up a recipe - i had no idea. you guys never told me! all this time i have been following recipes from books/magazines/blogs/friends... this is useful stuff.
it was ALMOST a complete success. my one gripe? wayyyy too salty. the combination of sun dried tomatoes + veg stock + capers on one plate is too much. one thing has to go, and i'd say the veg stock. other than that, i'm pretty proud of the final result!
another note: the feta cheese. i have been wanting to try sheep's cheese for a while now, as many people have said it's not too different (lactose-wise) to goat's cheese. i crumbled a little bit on my quinoa last night and... so far so good. i'll give an update on that if necessary!
on with the recipe...
mediterranean salmon with sun dried tomato quinoa
this serves two. use fresh/organic where possible.
the particulars - quinoa:
- 10 sun dried tomatoes (if dry, soak for 30 minutes beforehand. if in oil, drain beforehand)
- 1 cup quinoa (i used a mixture of red and white)
- 3/4 pint veg stock water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5-6 spring onions (scallions), chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 handful mint leaves, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 handful feta cheese, crumbled (could use goat's instead)
- put the quinoa, sun dried tomatoes, and water in a pot and bring to the boil. reduce to simmer and leave for 20 minutes or so, until quinoa is cooked.
- meanwhile, heat up a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil and add the spring onions and red pepper. cook for a couple of minutes but keep them crunchy. take off the heat and add the lemon juice and olives.
- combine the quinoa and veggies in a bowl and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- serve with a sprinkling of mint leaves and crumbled feta.
the particulars - salmon:
- 2 organic salmon fillets
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp capers
- mix together the lemon juice and zest, pepper, garlic, oil, and thyme in a small bowl. spread on the salmon fillets.
- heat up a griddle pan and cook salmon until flaky and pale pink.
- serve with capers.
lesson learned: like i said before, it was the salt that almost ruined it. other than that, a delicious and healthy meal, and super simple to make!