yesterday was blissful - very unlike a monday. i met up with the fabulous naomi for lunch in covent garden, where we munched on vegan delights, and then she showed me the greatest store i've ever seen. it's bursting at the seams with adorable (and totally unnecessary!) japanese delights - it goes way beyond hello kitty and pokemon. we were squealing with delight at all of the teeny tiny little toys. they must pump extra oxygen in there or something. but we ended up buying a box each containing a mystery surprise inside - a miniature airplane meal set.
yes, that says santa claus airlines. because my character was flying from helsinki, duh! the photo doesn't do justice to how very small the pieces are. but i love it! naomi, look what i founnnnnnnnd! lol :)
i promise we're not insane - just have a new slight obsession, that's all.
last night, i was in the mood for some mexican food so i whipped up some fajitas with black beans and guacamole. the black beans DID NOT turn out right. i even soaked them overnight and everything! next time, i'm buying a can. i know it's cheaper to soak and cook dried beans, but it's such an effort for iffy results.
the guac was great though! i used a whole avocado and about 15 cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters. i added half a red chili, finely chopped, some coriander leaves, the juice of half a lime, and salt and pepper. then i smashed it all together with a fork. so good!
phil had grated cheese (red leicester to be precise) on his, and we split the rest -- using corn tortillas instead of flour. but the veggie filling had to be the best part.
vegetarian fajitas with sweet potato and green beans
here's mine, pre-wrap.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- handful green beans, topped and tailed
- 1/2 red chili, deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 courgette, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- in a wok (or large skillet) heat up some olive oil, then add the onion. cook for a few minutes to soften, then add the carrots and sweet potato. add the paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. and leave to cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally. after about 7 minutes, cover with a lid (or foil) and cook for another 7 minutes, until veggies are softened.
- add the pepper, chili, courgette, and green beans, and cook until warmed through, tossing occasionally. re-season with salt and pepper and add the lime juice a couple of minutes before serving.
- warm up some corn tortillas in the microwave or hot oven, and serve everything immediately, letting everyone help themselves.
lesson learned: this isn't rocket science, i know. but i've never used sweet potato before, and it picked up where the black beans left off. they were too dry, so they didn't bind all the ingredients like the sweet potato did. for next time though, i need to remember to buy a can of black beans!