I certainly need a bowl full of healthy spinachy goodness today - it's too bad I'm all out of leftovers from this amazing soup I whipped up a few days ago. I've come down with a nasty bug AGAIN - aches, pains, fever, chills. I blame it entirely on the bizarre weather we've been having recently. Just when I thought it was springtime, the temperatures dropped again. Yesterday there was a random thunderstorm with hail!
So I'm all wrapped up in bed with my laptop, the sound of music on TV, a couple of gossip mags to flip through, and plenty of ice cold water. All I'm hoping is that whatever this is disappears by Sunday so I can get on my plane to Boston!
Spinach, Coconut, & Rice Soup
From a waitrose recipe
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 bag spinach
- 300g cooked brown basmati rice
- 1 lime, grated zest and juice
- Gently fry the cumin seeds in the oil until toasted. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then stir in the spinach and blend until smooth.
- Return to a medium heat and add the rice. Stir until warmed through.
- Add the lime zest and juice, season and serve.
Lesson learned: The original recipe calls for white rice, but just to make it slightly healthier I used brown rice. I don't think this makes a huge difference in taste though - so feel free to use whichever you prefer.