This morning, I spent a good hour peeling raw almonds. I consider this my punishment for neglecting the blog yesterday. And it WAS punishment! I'll be buying peeled/blanched almonds from now on, rather than attempting to do it myself. But speaking of DIY, this little nibbley snack is all about creating something special yourself. There are plenty of bags and jars of spiced, mixed, or roasted nuts at the supermarket. But why not spend a little time making it on your own? It takes no time at all (as long as you buy the almonds pre-blanched!) and you can use whatever spice you wish!
We had some amazing ones in Paris that I'd love to re-create sometime. they were both spicy and sweet all at once - perhaps using brown sugar and cayenne, or something similar? I'm not sure, but at least now I can attempt it.
These roasted almonds would be great as a post-workout or pre-dinner snack. They'd also be great as a little gift, wrapped up in a pretty bag. Next Christmas spoiler alert!
Spiced Roasted Almonds
- 400g raw, peeled almonds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika (or the spice of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the almonds in a roasting pan and drizzle the olive oil on top. Toss to coat and place in the oven. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Take the almonds out of the oven and sprinkle with the paprika. Toss to coat and leave to cool.
- Enjoy them warm, or place them in an airtight container where they will keep for a week!
- Phil and I had an engagement photo shoot a few weeks ago with our wonderful photographer, emma case. We think she did a fabulous job and love her lots and lots. She's posted a sampling of the shoot on her blog.
- Pippa, the intolerant gourmet, is through to the next round on britain's best dish! This is so exciting - I hope she makes it on the show with her allergy-friendly bakewell tart. My fingers are crossed for you, Pippa!
- Strawberries are so good in England right now. This isn't really news, I just want you to know. Get to your nearest farmer's market and pick up a punnet this week.