the quinoa pasta boxes my mom sent us a while back had to run out sometime. i just didn't think it would happen so soon. guys, if you ever come across this stuff, do me a favor and buy some. not only does it maintain a good pasta-like consistency, but it contains protein and won't leave you feeling bloated and uncomfortable (if you are intolerant to wheat or gluten or eggs). there is nothing like a simple pasta dinner with some nice tomato sauce. phil likes to crank up the heat with some cayenne pepper in our sauce though. this is not pleasing to my palate. but if you happen to like spicy pasta, you'll love this!
if you're in a hurry and still want to eat a homecooked meal, may i recommend this?
5 minute homemade pasta sauce
there's an action shot of phil, grating some fresh parmesan over his spicy, tomatoey quinoa pasta. obv, i didn't do the same.
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (we used one of the cardboard box kinds - lighter and tastes better - which had basil and oregano mixed in)
- 1 onion, chopped
- optional: 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp mixed herbs (or dried/fresh basil and dried/fresh oregano)
- salt and pepper
- optional: 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- get the water for your pasta boiling in one pan. once it has reached the boil, add the pasta and begin the sauce.
- pour a little drizzle of olive oil in another pan and heat. add the onion (and the garlic, if using) and cook for 2 minutes. add the balsamic and sizzle for a minute.
- stir in the chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, salt and pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using). cook for as long as your pasta takes - about 5 or 6 more minutes.
- drain your pasta, then return to the pan and add the sauce. toss to coat. serve hot (with grated parmesan - optional).