i love when new traditions start! last year, we had a bbq for 4th of july and decided to do it all again this year. on the menu was a mayo-free potato salad i created last time around. i wrote down the recipe without quantities, but somehow still managed to put together something tasty that everyone seemed to enjoy. unfortunately, no photos were taken of it - but here's a gratuitous grillmaster shot:
tangy potato salad
makes enough for all the folks at the bbq
- one large bag of small potatoes, preferably charlotte or red
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp seasoning vinegar (infused with peppercorns, chilis, etc)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- handful of dill, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- boil the potatoes in a large pot of water with a little bit of salt, until they are soft enough to pierce with a dinner knife (not a sharp edge). drain and leave to cool.
- once the potatoes are cool enough to touch, chop into halves or quarters, depending on how big they are. toss in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients, as well as some salt and pepper. cover with cling film and cool in the fridge until ready to serve.