This recipe has been in my bookmarks for ages and this week I finally made it: chickpea blondies, courtesy of the brilliant blog 'Have Cake, Will Travel'. I couldn't have ever imagined how these things would taste based on the ingredients, but I'm telling you: throw everything you think you know about chickpeas out the window. This is a sweet, succulent dessert that bears absolutely no resemblance to its main ingredient. The flavors that really stand out are in the peanut butter and strawberry fruit spread used, making them more like PB&J bars than blondies. Another description I heard was "dessert falafels" :) - so I guess they could be called whatever you want.
It's probably the healthiest dessert I've ever made without tasting like it. Not only are you getting all of that wonderful protein and fiber from the chickpeas, it's also completely gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, and there is absolutely no refined sugar. The sweetness comes from the fruit spread and some agave nectar. Yum! Try making these in a spare half hour - it couldn't be easier and you could do a lot worse for a midday snack.
Makes 12-15 individual squares; adapted from a recipe by 'Have Cake, Will Travel'
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup organic strawberry fruit spread
- 1/4 cup organic crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milled flaxseed
- 2 tbsp gluten-free plain flour (i used dove's farm brand)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Heat the oven to 350F. Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until perfectly smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Cool in the pan completely before slicing.