We just got home from an almost-three-week vacation in England, visiting family and friends, seeing the sites, and generally eating a lot of JUNK! It was partly nostalgia for the British junk foods of our past, and partly being in vacation-mode.
So now we're home and I'm craving light and summery and healthy meals. Such as...
Mango Herbed Rice Salad
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 bunch basil leaves, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch mint leaves, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 scallions, light green parts finely sliced
- 2 mangos, flesh chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- optional: 6 eggs, for serving
- Place the rice in a saucepan with 2 sprigs of basil and a teaspoon of sea salt. Cover with cold water and cook per package directions.
- Grab a large bowl. Pour in the olive oil and lemon juice and zest and whisk with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat a frying pan and add the shredded coconut. Toast for 3-4 minutes, tossing a few times to evenly brown it.
- Place the rice in the large bowl and toss with the dressing. Then add all the other ingredients and toss to combine.
- Optional: top each serving with a fried egg to make this a well-balanced lunch or dinner.